Providence Schools is once again soliciting nominations to select a Teacher of the Year for the district.
We are seeking teachers with at least five years of experience, who have proven themselves as valuable members of our school communities, champions for their students, and professional role models for their peers. We encourage all Providence Schools community members to think about a teacher who meets and surpasses this description, and to nominate that individual by Friday, March 20, 2015 in accordance with the following Nomination Procedure. Nominees will then be asked to provide the selection committee with their résumé and professional credentials, letters of recommendation, and their answers to a series of open-ended essay questions, giving the committee a feel for the individual style and philosophy of each candidate.
The winner chosen for Providence will be asked to represent our district in the statewide selection of Teacher of the Year, with the winner at that level representing Rhode Island in the national competition. This is Providence’s chance to shine a spotlight on the tremendous teaching talent we know we have.
Your participation helps us to ensure that we demonstrate what Providence’s teaching force truly has to offer. We are seeking the best of the best among our educators, and your nomination of an especially valued teacher will help to ensure that we’ll consider at the strongest field of candidates available.
A teacher may be nominated by anyone with knowledge of his or her professional skill and commitment – administrator, colleague, student, parent or community member. The nominee should possess the following characteristics:
- Be knowledgeable in their content area.
- Be a master at instructional delivery.
- Be able to and demonstrate the ability to inspire students from all backgrounds with multiple learning abilities.
- Be respected by their students, parents, peers and colleagues.
- Be active in the community.
- Be articulate in state and national educational issues.
- Be a model representative of their teaching colleagues in the Providence Public Schools.
- Have at least five years of teaching experience.
- Write a letter or email to the selection committee describing why your candidate deserves to be the Teacher of the Year and describe how your nominee demonstrates the characteristics listed above. Letters in any language of the nominator’s choosing are welcome.
- All nominations must be received by Friday, March 20, 2015. Letters should be submitted to Doris De Los Santos, Executive Director of Partnerships, Development and Community Engagement, at the district office, 797 Westminster Street, Providence, RI 02903 or by email at email@example.com, with “Teacher of the Year 2015” in the subject line. Questions about the nomination process can be directed to Ms. De Los Santos by e‐mail or at (401) 456‐9100, ext. 11233.
- Each nominee is later contacted and requested to complete the candidate selection procedure.